Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Yumekui Merry (Dream Eater Merry)

Credit: fursen3.deviantart.com
   

               I decided to start my anime binge watching week by browsing through the Amazon Prime Video content available to me as a fellow subscriber. I actually purchased Amazon Prime on accident. It was free to use as a student and when the trial was over, Amazon charged me for the entire year all at once. So now I am stuck with Prime for a year-might as well make the best of it!
               Amazon does not have as much as Hulu, but they might have a small upper-hand over Netflix. I've found their movies and anime series to be on the not so mainstream side of the anime fandom. For a casual otaku fangirl like me, this proves to be a very happy accident indeed. Now I am free to peruse the pages of all the anime shows I have never heard of and have yet to visually devour. This makes for a very happy Amazon Prime subscriber!

Look at the unique detail in her eyes! So cool.
   
      Dream Eater Merry caught my eye right away. I am drawing an online manga that deals with the demon world and the concept of someone aka main character Yumeji, Fujiwara possessing the ability to know, ahead of time what someone will dream of that very night (including himself) super interesting! I've always wanted to incorporate dreams and here is an anime that beat me to the punch! Also the anime art is very easy on the eyes, with the characters possessing wide, bright eyes and cute, detailed, unique outfits. I love Merry's pointy ears. Super kawaii!
       I've only watched two episodes so far but the story is captivating from the start if you like dream worlds, heroic and villainous demons and unique spins on mainstream concepts like two realms coexisting. For example the human world and the shadow world etc.
     
      I keep wanting to see what Yumeji will do with his weird gift. So far he has had some scary encounters with creepy, masks and talking cats but what else is out there in the dream world? Will his powers unlock into something more awesome and unforeseen? Is Merry another bad dream demon or is she truly benevolent and Yumeji's friend?
     I can't wait to see what's next! I am also hoping that the show is filled with more unique monsters and creatures. I love watching stuff I have not seen or thought of before, those artists that blow my mind with creativity like that are truly masters at drawing.

No comments:

Post a Comment